Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Lecture on Humility

Here's a great lecture on humility
produced by the C.S. Lewis Institute:


"Whoever wants to become great
among you must be your servant...
For even the Son of Man
did not come to be served,
but to serve,"
(Mark 10:43, 45, NIV).

"If we desire to become more like Jesus
and live a fruitful life,
we need to forsake pride,
and embrace humility and servanthood."
--C.S. Lewis Institute

‎"Whatever any of us could dare boast of, whatever we could accomplish as spiritual beings in this life, Paul had us beat. “Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they Abraham’s descendants? So am I. Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again.”(2 Corinthians 11:22-23.) If there was a way to upgrade one’s spiritual status, Paul would have been sitting in first class. But there isn’t such a category in the Christian story. There isn’t a way to achieve more or to become more than we are already freely offered in Christ. “My grace is sufficient for you,” Paul was told in prayer, “for my power is perfected in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9a). As followers of the risen Christ, we are to become less; he is to become more. “Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me” (2 Corinthians 12:9b)." A Slice of Infinity

No comments:

Post a Comment