Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Grandpa Roy (July 1, 1931 - June 13, 2012)


As read in the Chicago Tribune:

"Roy David McCall, age 80, passed away Wednesday, June 13, 2012. Born July 1, 1931 in Detroit, MI; cherished husband of Peggy McCall; beloved father of Jennifer (Travis) Schmidt, and Susan (John) Cravatta; loving grandpa of Joshua, Amber, and Caleb Schmidt and Rebecca and Samuel Cravatta; fond brother of Shirley Ann Bedard. His passion was acting on Chicago stages."

Grandpa was a character. He always told jokes and lived life until his last breath. We will always love him and will be glad to one day see him again.

He wanted his tombstone to be inscribed, "Act III- Curtain Going Up" because he knew that two acts of his life were over (before and after he married my Grandma Peggy) and would be ready to finally take on his biggest crowd in Heaven.

He was someone I look up to in acknowledging their vocation. Although he had always loved to act, he became a great salesman in order to support his wife and daughters (one of which is my mother). He knew that family had to come first. They were his immediate call. Even though he never really got to start professional acting again until the kids left the nest, he lived a life full of joy and faithfulness. This faithfulness wasn't only to his family, but also to God as he continued to lead Bible Studies up until the end and always remembered the stone-cold truth: John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." This was his favorite Bible verse.


The five of us Grandkids will never cease to adore him.

We aren't the only ones. Chris White recently sent this message to my Grandma:

"Last Wednesday, I finally finished my new feature film called GET BETTER (www.GetBetterTheMovie.com). The main character, a man who is suffering from chronic Lyme disease and passes away during the course of the film, was named for Roy. I was so excited to send him a copy of it, and hear his response to that little surprise.

Just two weeks ago, I watched UNCLE BUCK with my daughter Harriet. I pointed our Roy (bowling in a yellow shirt) to her: "That man was the first guy I ever hired...ever. He was my George Washington, my favorite founding father."

Roy McCall meant so much to me then...he means so much to me now, too. I'd never known a father figure who wasn't a blood relative or a teacher. Roy was the first man I loved and wanted to be like who I wasn't required to adore or emulate.

I've missed him for years now, and will miss him for many more. I won't forget him. Or you.

I am glad to know that you and Roy built the kind of family who is, no doubt, caring for you during this time. Know that I love you, too. And am so sorry for the loss you are experiencing right now.

I will send you a copy of the film in the next few days. I hope that you enjoy it. But mostly I hope you get a kick out of the character (played by Robert Linder) who bears your husband's name."

We'll see you again Grandpa.
Love,
Josh




Full Obituaries:

No comments:

Post a Comment