Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Hope (Avengers Vs. X-Men)


"You say I'm your future.
I'm here to save you or something.
I'm starting to think...

I dunno,

maybe I am. "


Hope Summers was pretty much a normal girl. Well, I guess she was as normal as any mutant and daughter of Cable (time traveling cyborg son of Scott Summers [Cyclops]) could be. She had been protected all of her life by Cable (the reason why he left his bromance with Deadpool and traveled to the future in the first place). In order that one day she may wield the power of the phoenix (which comes to earth as an extreme power and is only able to be controlled by very few individuals [Jean Grey was the last one to wield the Phoenix]) in order to save the world. Perhaps, in revenge of the Messiah Complex, where the mutants become decimated and endangered, or just due to the often found mutant superiority attitude, the X-Men want to use Phoenix on their side. This could possibly wipe out many non-mutants. On the other hand, the Avengers want to prevent Hope from doing anything with the demonic storm in order to stop whatever serious repercussions may happen.

In a way, the X-Men think that Hope's their savior while the Avengers see her as a danger. This is currently at the root of the Avengers Vs. X-Men series. Hope has taken on the burden of carrying the Phoenix. And this will surely influence the world in many unforeseen ways.


"I know why you're scared.
You think the Phoenix is either going to kill me or drive me crazy.
Or maybe both. Just like it did Jean.

But I'm not your dead wife, Scott.
That's not my story.

The Phoenix is coming.
I know that.

And I'm not afraid.
I want it to come.
I'm ready."
Hope Summers
[Picture of Jean as
Phoenix]

Even though it may overwhelm or overpower her, Hope is ready. She is willing to be the role that she needs to be. She will take on the Phoenix. She will do her best to save the world.

It might be scary at first, possibly even uncontrollable, but we also need to be like Hope. When we see where we fit and recognize where our true calling is, we can follow through no matter how difficult it seems. We can know that many are the plans that God has for us, "plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11). We can trust in Him.

At the same time, with all of Hope's time traveling and immediate difference she makes to others (the whole world really), we can remember our influence to others. As seen on It's a Wonderful Life, just the fact of whether we are present on not in others lives changes them. Like the show Journeyman, who is called to hobble through time, helping people and being there for them, his presence alone makes a world of difference and he becomes a major event changer in the person's lives. Hope's life is the same way. And, I would argue, that our lives are too.

We can be the good influence to our neighbor in our vocation. We can step up to the challenge and be who we were meant to be, to be there for them. Like Christ is and was their for us, saving us from our sin and forgiving our trespasses, we can be there for each other.

With graduation coming up this weekend, remember those who were there for you and those you were there for. It would be horrible to have missed any one of these opportunities to have been there for each other. Don't hesitate to be there for someone in the future.

But, we must continually remember that it is only with God's strength (Psalm 73:26) and hope in Him (Psalm 146:5-6) that we can become these tools that He has intended us to be, whether it be strengthening us through our suffering (Romans 5:3-5) or transforming us with the Gospel (Romans 12:2). God can work through us to constantly be His light and His hand for one another.

Although it might not seem as if we change the world, like Hope does, we do still change someone's world.








P.S. Here are some more great verses from Jeremiah 29:

"Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you... and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile" (Jeremiah 29:12-14).

P.P.S. Journeyman is a really awesome show when considering vocation. He is called away to serve whomever his gut tells him to at different time periods. He can never find I scientific answer that quite fits his predicament and it's even suggested that God might be playing a role (or at least some other power out there). There is only one season and it's really worth watching.



More Hope Summers:

Hope with the Holy Spirit

This has been part of the A v X Series

No comments:

Post a Comment