Monday, April 30, 2012

In God’s Image (Portals of Prayer)



‎"I was alive, I had the power of feeling;
I had instinct to keep myself safe and sound,
to preserve my own being,

which was a trace of the single unseen Being
from whom it was derived...

Should I not be grateful that so small a creature
possessed such wonderful qualities?

But they were all gifts from God,
for I did not give them to myself.
His gifts are good and the sum of them all
is my own self.
Therefore,
the God who made me
must be good
and all the good in me
is his."
St. Augustine 

In God’s Image

When we recognize an act of Christian love, why does it leave us feeling so blessed? Or why does excelling at something mean so much to us or seeing beautiful scenery move us to tears? The answer to all these questions is rooted in Christians being recreated in the image of God (Gen 1:26). To be made in God’s image means we are made to be like God, serving neighbor in penitent humble faith according to God’s will. That is why serving our neighbor helps us feel fulfilled. God loves sacrificially and unconditionally. No wonder we at times feel so blessed when God works His will through us and we reflect His image to our neighbor. God’s aesthetic greatness is ours to reflect to the best of our ability. So when we encounter beauty, we’re blessed. Our image of God was lost by sin, but as ones converted to faith in Jesus, we “have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator” (Colossians 3:!0).

In our incessant chase for fulfillment, we will be most fulfilled when we reflect the nature and attributes of our Creator. God’s character is revealed in the Scriptures and in His Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus embodies the fullness of God. God calls us and keeps us close to Him, that we may reflect His will, our Creator’s image, to our neighbor.

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, by Your Spirit, make me more like You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment